8.28.2007

Hi, my name is Jill, and I used to be smart.

One of my friends just recently started grad. school, and when I look back at my experience, I don't know how I managed to get through it. I mean, the issue of "the relationship" and all of the additional work that ensued aside, I don't think I could write another 10+ page paper again for the life of me.

How is it that I used to be able to start and finish a book over the course of a day, and start writing a paper about it with some sort of major theory application at 10pm the day before it was due, and always manage an A? WEIRD. What were my professors thinking?!

And trusting me with students of my own??? Woah, people. I'm surprised that they learned anything. But miraculously... they did. And I loved it. And most of them seemed to love it (or were good at pretending, and for that, bonus points to them).

I guess it all boils down to me being extremely grateful for going to grad school immediately after getting my BA, because now that I have free evenings and weekends, I don't really want to give them up anymore. And I couldn't write a paper and sound smart. But, damn, if I couldn't in grad school!

3 comments:

A new kind of diary (for me) said...

Seeing as I'm the aforementioned friend, I'd like to say thanks for telling me how difficult it's going to be. As day one of classes has already shown, someone is out of their league...

Jill said...

Like I said (and as many of my grad school friends can attest to), you get into a zone, and it all comes easier and flies by!

But I do enjoy my free evenings now. :)

Linden said...

Gotta agree, you get into a zone. It's difficult, it TOTALLY sucks at times, but you meet awesome people like Jill who help you through the insanity. :)